Sunday 11 January 2015

Regluing the Pot sides

Having managed to bend the strip of wood for the sides back into the right shape I needed to reglue it. Originally it was done with hide glue, luthiers still use this stuff, the ability to melt it is useful if repair work needs to be done. However I've gone with 502 All Purpose Weatherproof Adhesive. It's creep resistant and according to the blurb forms a bond stronger than the wood itself.


There's about a six inch tapered overlap at the ends of the piece. I squeezed the glue into it and put clingfilm over it as there'll be a lot of run off. Once set I'll have to cut and sand off the excess. To help align the overlap correctly I inserted the coach screws that attach the neck to the pot.


As well as the ratchet strap I placed wood clamps on the overlap to hold it whilst it dried and cured. The clamps have a flat surface which on the inside of the bend would've pushed it flatter so to avoid this I placed a small glass bottle on the inside of each clamp.


As before when I was bending it I used a bit of wood to protect the outer end of the  taper from the ratchet strap. It had cut in a bit before when I was shaping it but I think once glued it'll be fine.


Measuring the pot I found it wasn't quite round so I put a large clamp to push the widest sides of the pot together. Shouldn't be such a problem once the floor is attached and head fitted.


The glue takes 8 hours to reach full strength and needs clamping for that time, however as there was a lot of glue I've decided to give it a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment