Saturday 24 January 2015

Watching paint dry

Having reglued, woodfilled and sanded the pot it was time to repaint the thing. The pot's original black painted finish was pretty worn but I think the finish was closer to satin than gloss or matt -whilst it was havily scuffed on the outside on the inside surface of the pot it will've been protected from contact so I was able to tell it wasn't a heavily scuffed gloss or worn matt surface. I wanted to come up with something close tothe original but without the unpleasant lead content. I opted for a can of Plastikote Satin Black spray paint. It should be pretty durable and protect the aged wood for a long time to come.

Typically I'd've taken it outside, sprayed it, left it to dry, resprayed it and repeated until completed. Unfortunately the best temperature to apply Plastikote is 15-20 degress Ceclius and as we're approaching the tailend of January the temperature is hovering at about zero. Knocking a few nails into a piece of wood to use as handles and sitting the pot on a plastic tub I took it outside, sprayed it then brought it inside to dry.


It looked pretty smart but the paint didn't seem to be properly drying properly. It was sticky and I was able to mark it with finger prints. Not quite the protective coating I'd been hoping for. It may've been because I was spraying in such cold temperatures I suppose. Anyway looking online a few people suggested addressing that by spraying an acrylic sealer the top. So that's what I did. Although to try and speed up drying times I let it dry in the utility room with a fan heater running and the window slightly open so the paint fumes had some place to go other than the rest of the house.

However when it was finally dry I decided the indentations from where I'd filled cracks in the wood were too blatant and needed a bit more work. Roughening the surface with 400 grit sandpaper and wiping it down with cotton wool and naptha I applied some more woodfiller, it was a lot easier having finally found an old sculpting tool that'd been knocking about the house for years.



That done I went through the sanding it again, spraying it, waiting for it to dry, respraying it, waiting for it to dry, and so on. After a few coats of paint I sprayed a couple of coats of sealer on it and called it a day.



With a little more filing and filler I could get the surface even better but I don't want to completely lose the instruments age. Spraying the last few coats of black and sealer indoors seems to have made a difference to to the paint drying. Just needs a little work on the tailpiece then I can look at putting it back together and adding some strings and a bridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment